Call out for Anchor Groups in the Clyde Valley
Are you a Clean Up group near the Clyde or its tributaries? Or a watersports enthusiast who wants to see a cleaner river? A group of community gardeners who want to make a difference? The Clyde needs you! We want to recruit, train and support fifteen ‘Anchor Groups’ across the wider Clyde Valley.
If we want to effectively tackle marine litter, we have to fully understand how, where and what types of litter are getting into our watercourses. By becoming an Anchor Group, you'll be helping us build our understanding of the Clyde's litter problem.
What would your role as an Anchor Group be?
Anchor Groups are pivotal in the campaign’s success. Anchor groups will work with us over 2019 to:
- Adopt a site along the Clyde or one of its tributaries, streams or burns within Glasgow, Inverclyde, North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, East Dunbartonshire, West Dunbartonshire, Renfrewshire or East Renfrewshire to monitor regularly (commit to carrying out one survey per quarter, for a year).
- Record experiences and observations with photo-journaling and media content.
- Contribute to action planning for a Clyde marine Litter Prevention Action Plan for 2020, to help put in place long term solutions to the issue.
What support will we provide?
We will provide free specialised training to explain how to carry out a litter survey, explore the behaviours underpinning littering and understand how to create a local litter reduction project. Anchor groups will receive:
- Two bespoke training sessions for two members of your group in March.
- Expenses to training/events covered.
- Access to exclusive resources and support from our Upstream Battle team.
The deadline for submissions of interest for this opportunity has now passed. We will be in touch with groups after the 8th February to let them know the outcome. We are anticipating that this will be a popular opportunity and we might not be able to offer everyone who gets in the touch the chance to be an anchor group. As the campaign progresses, we will continue to have a range of other opportunities for individuals, groups and organisations to get involved with Upstream Battle.