Lesson Plans for Positive Actions
Inviting Educators Involved with Eco-Schools to Develop Lesson Plans for Positive Actions
The Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) is inviting teachers participating in the Eco-Schools programme, to develop and submit lesson plans that promote an action oriented pedagogy about specific Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In November 2018, the Foundation for Environmental Education released the publication Positive Actions for the Sustainable Development Goals. The publication was launched at the Eco-Schools National Operators Meeting (NOM) in Cork, Ireland, which coincided with the commence of 25th Anniversary Celebrations of the programme.
The Eco-Schools programme has positive action competence at its core. Eco-Schools is Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) in Action. The SDGs provide us with a vision and a call for action for a sustainable Earth. ESD provides quality education that actively involves citizens of our global village in ensuring harmony between all life forms so that there will be enough, for everyone, forever.
In its current form, the publication is a framework that has articulated positive actions as behavioural learning outcomes contributing to the achievement of every SDG through the process of ESD. The next step is to illustrate the process of ESD in the form of lesson plans to help educators understand how they can achieve these learning outcomes in a formal education setting.
What are we asking you to do?
Develop and submit lesson plans that promote an action oriented pedagogy about specific Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The educator contributing the highest number of lesson plans that are published will be invited to attend the 25th Anniversary National Operators Meeting (NOM) to be held in the Netherlands. (Tentative dates 24-27 November 2019).
- The educator contributing the best lesson plan amongst the submissions will be invited to attend the 25th Anniversary NOM.
- The educators, schools and the country will be acknowledged for contributing the lesson plans in an international publication by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Only selected lesson plans will be published.
Guidelines for Lesson Plans
- Submitted lesson plans should be original or adapted for the context of the selected SDG and Positive Actions with due acknowledgement.
- We suggest that the lesson plans are trial tested in class and changes incorporated before submission.
- The educator submitting the lesson plans will be responsible for any issues concerning copyrights and permissions of materials used. FEE will license the publication under Creative Commons for free use.
- A teacher can submit a maximum of 3 Lesson Plans that should cover distinct SDGs.
- The editorial committee constituted by FEE will be responsible for reviewing and rating the lesson plans.
July 2019 Deadline to submit lesson plans
August 2019 Improvement of lesson plans through feedback and comments by an expert committee.
September 2019 Finalisation of lesson plans and communication to educators.
October 2019 Design of the Lesson Plans.