3 Days of Action for Southside, Edinburgh
The recently completed Southside – 3 Days of Action was a community led project to improve the local environment within Edinburgh’s Southside. The project took place between the 25 and 27 October 2018, where the first two days consisted of The City of Edinburgh Council undertaking a clean-up of the area and identifying street maintenance issues. On the final day of the project, Community Groups came together to clean-up their priority areas.
The Community Clean Up was supported by The City of Edinburgh Council, Police Scotland, The Surgeons Quarter, Edinburgh University, and a couple of local businesses.
Community Groups, including: Southside Community Council, Southside Association, The Causey and Friends of Nicolson Square Gardens all contributed to sprucing up the Southside.
- 21 People participated in the event.
- 21 'extra-large' bags of litter and leaves collected.
- Litter, Tie-wraps, fly-posting, graffiti and redundant 'No Parking' signs removed from Nicolson Square Gardens and immediate environs.
- Graffiti Removed from street furniture in the area.
- 4000 bulbs planted within Nicolson Square Gardens (Bluebells, Daffodils and Tulips).
- Sympathetic pruning of Shrubs and Trees.
- City Councillor’s Dickie, Rose and Burgess all attended.
We were proud to support the 3 Days of Action and are very happy with the outcome - everyone involved has done a great job!
Our Clean Up Scotland campaign encourages a collaborative approach by local authorities, community groups, businesses and other organisations to ensure we improve our local environmental quality. If you'd like support with tackling litter in your neighbourhood please get in touch with us, alternatively, you can organised a Clean Up near you with our support.
08 November 2018