Call out for Anchor Groups across Tayside
If we want to effectively tackle marine litter, we have to fully understand how, where and what types of litter are getting into our watercourses. By becoming an Anchor Group, you'll be helping us build our understanding of the Tay's litter problem.
Friends of Cairnhill Woods, and Anchor Group along the Clyde, said:
"Being an Anchor Group for Upstream Battle has enabled us to tackle this issue in a far more coherent way. We have the people power to do it and together we can educate others and get others involved, if only at the very least to stop disposing of litter in such a detrimental way."
What would your role as an Anchor Group be?
Anchor Groups are pivotal in the campaign’s success. Across the Clyde Valley our Anchor Groups have successful collected data which contributed to our first citizen science report. We hope to do the same across Tayside. Anchor groups will work with us over 2021 and beyond to:
- Adopt a site along the Tay or one of its tributaries, streams or burns within Perth and Kinross, Dundee City, North Fife or the beaches near the Tay in Angus and commit to carrying out one litter survey per quarter beginning in Autumn 2021, for a year. Although – the more the merrier.
- Support our Spring Clean with event(s) for the local community
- Generally, be an ambassador for our campaign and cleaning up locally. Your groups’ details will be added to our network for others to find and be inspired by.
What support will we provide?
- We will provide free specialised training to explain how to carry out a litter survey, explore the behaviours underpinning littering and understand how to create a local litter reduction project. Anchor Groups will receive
- access to exclusive resources and support from our Upstream Battle team. There is also an opportunity to receive a small grant to support with your localised campaigning.
What next? To get involved with this really exciting opportunity, please answer the following questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 20th September
- Have you previously organised a litter pick? If so tell us more about them
- How do you share and publicise the activities of your group; social media, noticeboards, website, newsletters?
- What actions are you currently doing to help keep your area clean, and how could involvement with Upstream Battle help you address local littering issues?
We are anticipating that this will be a popular opportunity and we might not be able to offer everyone who gets in the touch the chance to be an Anchor Group. We will be in touch shortly following the closing date . As the campaign progresses, we will have a range of other opportunities for individuals, groups and organisations to get involved with Upstream Battle.
23 August 2021