Apply for an award
The Green Flag award lets members of the public know that the sites are well run and that they will be able to access a quality, well maintained facility. Having the award creates additional publicity for the park, encouraging new users and increasing the sense of civic pride and ownership in the area.
The benefits of having access to green and other open spaces have been well highlighted, particularly in relation to mental health and well-being, tackling stress and encouraging activity.
Applications for the 2019 Green Flag Award are now closed. Applications for awarded sites in 2020 will open in December 2019.
We offer three levels of Green Flag Award:
- The Green Flag Award for parks and green spaces managed by local authorities/duty bodies
- The Green Flag Community Award for quality green spaces managed by voluntary and community groups
- The Green Heritage Site Accreditation managed by local authorities or community groups
If you are a park manager and would like to apply for a Green Flag Award for your park, you will need to:
- Check that the park meets the award criteria (please note - the 'raising the standard' criteria in 2017 is still applied and there has been no update since) and that you have a management plan in place and in practice, and that it is regularly reviewed.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01786 468247 (please give us the full park name). We will give you a login and username to register your park at www.greenflagaward.org.
- Submit a full application at www.greenflagaward.org
Once you have applied for the award we will send you an invoice for the appropriate amount.
If this is your first application, your park will be visited during May or June by two of our volunteer judges. You will need to show them around your park and demonstrate why the park should be awarded a Green Flag. As well as this site visit the judges will also complete an assessment of your management plan and associated documents.
The following year, and every alternative year, a mystery shop visit will be carried out. During the mystery shop one judge will visit your park unannounced and mark it on the criteria. You will be given a copy of the report and you will get the opportunity to make any highlighted improvements
For guidance on applying for a Green Flag Award, please see our Green Flag Award Application Guidance.