How to report it

As a member of the public, there is a lot you can do.  You can help our Clean Up Scotland campaign by reporting incidents of littering, flytipping, graffiti and dog fouling.

We have produced a guide to help you through this process. Click the relevant link below to contact your local authority:


Aberdeen City



Argyll & Bute


Dumfries & Galloway

Dundee City

East Ayrshire

East Dunbartonshire

East Lothian

East Renfrewshire

Edinburgh (City of)

Eileanan an Iar, Na h- (Western Isles)



Glasgow (City of)





North Ayrshire

North Lanarkshire

Orkney Islands

Perth & Kinross


Scottish Borders

Shetland Islands

South Ayrshire

South Lanarkshire


West Dunbartonshire

West Lothian


If, despite your complaints, the Duty Body has failed to keep its area up to standard for a longer-than-acceptable period of time, you can take legal action to have the litter removed.

You can make a formal complaint (either to a hotline, if your council has one, or the Cleansing, Environmental Health or Technical Services Department). If, despite this, the Duty Body fails to rectify the problem, you can apply for a Litter Abatement Order, enforceable by a Sheriff, which requires action from the Duty Body.

This can be complicated and time-consuming, but if you have the patience it has worked before!

Keep Updated

Get Clean Up Scotland news delivered straight to your inbox
Your personal information and right to privacy is important to us. It is not our practice to sell, rent or otherwise to disclose your personal information to others. Read our Privacy Notice

Keep Connected

We support the