Award-winning beaches demonstrate excellence in managing conflicting needs of beach users, the community and the local environment.
To meet the requirements of the Beach Award, the following criteria relating to beach management must be met.
- The Beach Operator must manage the conflicting needs of different users as well as local ecosystems, in line with health, safety and environmental plans.
- Where dogs are permitted, they must be kept under control within the award area.
- The Beach Operator should encourage community engagement. This may include supporting:
- Beach Cleans
- Keep Scotland Beautiful - Clean Up Scotland activities
- Marine Conservation Society – Beachwatch / Great British Beach Clean activities
- The presence of user groups such as sailing clubs, canoe clubs, wildlife groups etc.
- It’s Your Neighbourhood / Beautiful Scotland groups
- Local schools using the beach
- Any other relevant activities