Your charity for Scotland’s environment

St Andrews West Sands

Famous for the opening scenes of the film Chariots of Fire West Sands extends for almost two miles of uninterrupted sand backed with dunes and the world-renowned golf course. The beach is about 15 minutes walk from the town centre. There is plenty of car parking, lots of information available and zoning of the beach to keep sand yachts and families apart. It is very popular for walking and running on as well as for swimming. Shops and restaurants are close by and there are plenty of wet weather alternatives, including the Golf museum and nearby Castle and Cathedral.

RNLI Beach Lifeguard Cover is in place  from the 24th June to 28th August 2017.

History

The town is named after Saint Andrew the Apostle. There has been an important church in St Andrews since at least the 8th century, and a bishopric since at least the 11th century. The settlement grew to the west of St Andrews cathedral with the southern side of the Scores to the north and the Kinness burn to the south. The burgh soon became the ecclesiastical capital of Scotland, a position which was held until the Scottish Reformation. The famous cathedral, the largest in Scotland, now lies in ruins. 

St Andrews is also known worldwide as the "home of golf". This is in part because the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, founded in 1754, exercises legislative authority over the game worldwide (except in the United States and Mexico), and also because the famous links (acquired by the town in 1894) is the most frequent venue for The Open Championship, the oldest of golf's four major championships. 

Natural Space

West Sands extends for almost 2 miles of uninterrupted sand backed with dunes and the world-renowned golf course.

Setting

West Sands is about a 15 minute walk from the town centre. There is plenty of car parking, lots of information available and zoning of the beach to keep sand yachts and families apart. It is very popular for walking and running on as well as for swimming. Shops and restaurants are close by.

Getting There

The beach is accessed from A91 Cupar - St Andrews road.  It is 15 minutes walk from the bus station.

Contact details

Robbie Blyth
01592 656080
Visit Website

Facilities

Family Friendly Recreation Friendly Sandy Toilets Rocky First Aid Free parking Cafe Surfing Lifeguard Good for Wildlife Public Rescue Equipment