North Berwick West Beach
North Berwick West Beach has a long stretch of sand with views to the island of Craigleith and the Bass Rock. It is a popular family beach providing an ideal location for sunbathing, bird watching, paddling, picnics and dog walking. Behind the beach is a putting green that is open during the summer months. It is close to the Lifeboat shed and also within walking distance of the Scottish Seabird Centre.
The name North Berwick means North "barley farmstead" ("bere" in Old English means "barley" and "wic" in Old English is 'farmstead'). The word North was applied to distinguish this Berwick from Berwick-upon-Tweed, which throughout the Middle Ages the Scots called South Berwick. It was recorded as Northberwyk in 1250. On the south of North Berwick Law there is evidence of at least eighteen hut circles, rich middens and a field system dating from 2,000 years ago. Whaling in the eighteenth century, local lore, place names, and the jawbone arch atop the Law erected in 1709 suggest that the port was involved in the whaling industry though there is little written evidence left to prove it.
A long stretch of sand with views to the island of Craigleith and the Bass Rock. Behind the beach is a putting green that is open during the summer months.
North Berwick is situated on the south shore of the Firth of Forth, approximately 25 miles (40 km) north-east of Edinburgh. North Berwick became a fashionable holiday resort in the nineteenth century because of its two sandy bays, the East (or Milsey) Bay and the West Bay.
The west beach in North Berwick is the closest to the train station (a direct train service runs from Edinburgh). There is also a regular bus service.
Contact detailsELC Countryside
01620 827 459