Carbon Literacy for Communities - Edinburgh
This is a two-day course running on Tuesday 4th and Wednesday 5th December.
09:30 registration for a 10:00 start each day. Finishes at 16:00.
In 2018-20 we’re very pleased to offer this 2-day Carbon Literacy, accredited by the award winning Carbon Literacy Project in Manchester. Carbon literacy means having an instinctive understanding of the carbon impacts of our activities, and being able to make informed choices about the most energy and resource efficient and lower carbon options available to us.
Over the two-days we’ll cover the basics of climate science, look at current and likely impacts of a changing climate, explore how to communicate climate change, look at where carbon emissions come from and explore ways to encourage and support others to take steps to reduce their carbon footprint.
Attendance on the course is free but participants will be asked to cover the cost of certification (£10 plus VAT). Please note when you register you will be asked to confirm that you wish to be put forward for this certification.
Delivered by: Keep Scotland Beautiful as part of the Capacity Building Programme for the CCF.
Aims of the day
During the 2 days we will:
- Examine the scientific basis for climate change
- Explore the potential impacts rising greenhouse gasses and a changing climate
- Learn about communicating climate change and practice some techniques for doing so
- Understand the anthropogenic sources of GHGs and how our everyday lives relate to them
- Explore the Scottish Government's Low Carbon Behaviours and the challenges/opportunities to adoption in your community
- Explore behaviour change models and how these might help you structure investigation into increasing adoption in your community
By the end of the day you will:
- Have an improved understanding of the science of climate change
- Be more confident in talking to people about climate change
- Have improved carbon literacy
- Identify low carbon behaviours you would like to adopt yourself and to encourage in your community
- Develop a plan to identify opportunities/barriers to adopting low carbon behaviours in your community
Photography and video at this event
Please be aware that photographs and/or video footage may being taken at this event for future use by Keep Scotland Beautiful. By attending the event, participants are deemed to have given their consent to be filmed and photographed, and to any subsequent reproduction, public communication and/or broadcast of the material by Keep Scotland Beautiful and our partners. If you do not wish to be photographed or filmed, please inform a Keep Scotland Beautiful employee and everything possible will be done to avoid including you in any photograph or video footage taken.
Data Protection Act 2018
We will use the information you have given us to process your registration for this event and to send you communications about the event. We may share your details with selected partner organisations that support CCF applicants so they can send you communications about their support.
We will keep the information you have given us for a period of one year after which only anonymised data will be used for research and reporting.
From 04 December 2018 09:30 to 05 December 2018 16:00
at City of Edinburgh Methodist Church