National Award for Environmental Excellence® Gold Award – Diageo
In September 2015, Diageo asked us to carry out an environmental excellence audit to assess the local environmental quality of three of their Distillery Visitor Centres: Glenkinchie, Oban and Dalwhinnie.
The audit focused on the first impressions of each of the centres for visitors both internally and externally, along with the overall visitor experience. The audit also reviewed the waste management processes and engagement with local communities to provide a benchmark for environmental excellence.
The audit was broken down into the five key elements of the award. This was assessed using a checklist of over 100 questions and included a detailed site inspection, a customer journey activity, and meetings with staff at each of the sites.
Diageo achieved a total score of 2,681 out of a possible 3,000 at the three sites and we awarded them the gold level standard of our National Award for Environmental Excellence®.
Diageo demonstrated good practice in the following areas:
- Concise and well implemented policies and procedures.
- High standard of grounds maintenance which provided a very welcoming feel to all sites.
- High standards of maintenance of internal and retail areas and efforts to improve waste infrastructure for staff and public.
The audit also recognised the recycling procedures at the sites, particularly the focus on zero waste in the operations process which is supported by onsite waste water processing systems.
Three minor areas for improvement were identified:
- The need for litter bin to minimise the risk of litter.
- The need for recycling bins to allow visitors to recycle their waste.
- The need to consider the location of smoking shelters, to help discourage cigarette litter.
Diageo is the first drinks manufacturer in Scotland to be assessed against our National Award for Environmental Excellence® and has therefore setting a benchmark for this sector. While the three sites audited are diverse in their look and geographical location, the overall standard was exceptional. This makes these Diageo sites a role model for local environmental practice and community involvement.