£500 discount to help Scotland’s smaller tourism establishments access the internationally recognised Green Key sustainability award.
Green Key accreditation can help your hospitality business secure environmental improvements and cost savings.
Public concern about sustainability is growing and many consumers already consider environmental performance when choosing hospitality venues. The United Nations COP26 climate change conference in 2021, hosted in Glasgow, focussed attention on climate action in Scotland like never before.
Climate change will lead to changes in technology, laws and markets that have been described as similar in scale to the industrial revolution. New risks, opportunities and responsibilities will create significant disruption for the hospitality sector, which will in turn create business winners and losers.
As the hospitality sector rebuilds after Covid-19, we have an opportunity to work together towards a green recovery that can benefit both environment and business.
Green Key is the leading global eco-label operating in 65 countries worldwide to support and recognise environmental excellence in hotels, restaurants and venues. In addition to demonstrating your sustainability credentials with a globally recognised award, Green Key gives you a comprehensive framework for continual environmental improvement. And it can help your business save money by improving efficiency.
Who can apply?
How to become Green Key certified
- STEP 1: Complete an application form showing how your hotel or venue meets the 13 Green Key criteria areas. (See below for more information on the criteria.)
- STEP 2: Receive feedback on your application and complete any outstanding actions before progressing to the audit stage.
- STEP 3: We will carry out an on-site audit and advise on any actions needed to comply with Green Key criteria.
- STEP 4: Once our auditors believe that you meet the award criteria, your application will go to our independent National Green Key Jury for their decision.
- STEP 5: If successful we will provide you with promotional materials including a certificate and plaque, along with other promotional opportunities.
The award is valid for one year, so you will need to renew on an annual basis, demonstrating evidence on continual improvement.
*On-site audits will take place in year one, two and every third year thereafter.