Around 200 million single-use cups are used and discarded in Scotland each year.
Only 4% of these are recycled.
Something needs to change.
Our single-use cup problem
Around 200 million single-use cups are used in Scotland each year: an unimaginable number of cups that we are throwing away. And, if only 4% of these are currently recycled, what happens to the remaining 96%? Most go to landfill and far too many just end up littering our beautiful country.
We think something needs to change and have created Cup Movement® to tackle this problem.
What is Cup Movement®?
Cup Movement aims to transform our relationship with single-use cups, by working across the board, with those who buy, sell and use cups, to find solutions that work.
Cup Movement aims to:
- Raise awareness, share information and help people to make more sustainable cup choices.
- Work together with key stakeholders to trial different approaches for reducing cup waste.
- Provide robust evidence to inform policy and practice.
- Create successful and replicable place-based models.
- Contribute to the Scottish Government's policies and ambitions.
Let’s reduce cup waste
In order to reduce cup waste, we are focusing on:
- Ensuring that far fewer cups are littered
- Increasing cup recycling rates, including the development of a cup waste collection and recycling service
- Promoting reuse
Click on the sections below to learn more:
What we're up to