Elie Ruby Bay
This beautiful sheltered sandy beach with rock pools is a great place to watch birds and wildlife while relaxing. Walks round the headland starting at Ruby Bay link into the Fife Coastal Path while Elie is a perfect place to revive the weary walker with good cafes, restaurants and bars.
The twin towns of Elie and Earlsferry merge together to create a larger community along the shore of Ruby Bay, one of the widest and prettiest stretches of coastline in Fife. While most fishing villages on the East Neuk coast have fairly compact harbours, Elie harbour stretches out in both directions. Elie was a Burgh of Barony as early as 1589, but in 1929 it was joined with Earlsferry.
The beach is composed of dark-golden sand backed by dunes, and its sheltered position means that it provides a safe location for bathing.
You can look across Ruby Bay to a string white and green painted lighthouse on the eastern headland. A path leads from a parking area near the headland, to the lighthouse and along the cliffs to Lady Tower.
The beach can be accessed by car via Wadeslea Road and by foot from the centre of Elie. Ruby Bay is within walking distance of Elie Harbour beach.
Water quality information
This beach is a designated bathing water site. Further information about water quality at this site can be found on the SEPA website. Please observe local signage and only swim where it is safe to do so.
Toilet opening times can be found on the Fife Coast & Countryside website here.
Contact detailsFife Coast and Countryside Trust