Elie Harbour beach is one of many excellent beaches in this town. It lies north of the harbour and close to many facilities. It links with the adjacent Earlsferry beach, giving almost a mile of uninterrupted sand. There is an active sailing club, and a water sports facility where equipment can be hired and adventure trips on inflatables can be enjoyed. There are a number of good cafes and bars in the area serving food throughout the day.
The twin towns of Elie and Earlsferry merge together to create a larger community along the shore of Ruby Bay, one of the widest and prettiest stretches of coastline in Fife. While most fishing villages on the East Neuk coast have fairly compact harbours, Elie harbour stretches out in both directions. Elie was a Burgh of Barony as early as 1589, but in 1929 it was joined with Earlsferry.
The beach is composed of dark-golden sand backed by dunes, and its sheltered position means that it provides a safe location for bathing.
You can look across Ruby Bay to a string white and green painted lighthouse on the eastern headland. A path leads from a parking area near the headland, to the lighthouse and along the cliffs to Lady Tower.
By car and bus on the A917 coastal route, East Neuk of Fife.
Please note, lifeguard provision may be limited. Please check safety notices before entering the water.
Water quality information
This beach is a designated bathing water site. Further information about water quality at this site can be found on the SEPA website. Please observe local signage and only swim where it is safe to do so.
Contact detailsFife Coast and Countryside Trust