Who can apply?
All community green spaces can apply, as long as they’re freely accessible to all and unlocked as much as possible (although we understand this may not be every day and may be limited to regular, advertised open days).
Is it really free to apply?
Yes, the great news is it's free to apply for the Green Flag Community Award!
What are the benefits?
- You can fly the publicly recognised Green Flag pennant
- Your site will be advertised on the Keep Scotland Beautiful and UK Green Flag Award websites and will be included in press and publicity
- Many Green Flag sites report increased visitor numbers following a Green Flag Award
- Each park receives a feedback report and recommendations, featuring good practice and areas for improvement
- Awarded parks can benefit from external funding and grants that recognise the award as a standard, for example, the Heritage Lottery Fund
How do I apply?
Applying is easy and it's free! Just register your park and upload the following documents:
- Group Constitution
- Group Insurance
- Lease or agreement details for the land where the site is located
- Map of your site
- Photos of your site
How is my application assessed?
Independent, experienced judges who are trained to judge Green Flag Award applications will arrange a visit to go through your application and judge your site.
Your site will be judged on seven key criteria:
- A Welcoming Place - Safe and equal access for everyone demonstrating a cared-for place.
- Healthy, Safe and Secure - Safe equipment and facilities to reduce risk of personal harm.
- Clean and Well Maintained - Buildings, grounds and equipment appropriately maintained.
- Environmental Management - Environmental impact through reduced resource consumption.
- Biodiversity, Landscape and Heritage - Natural and historic features and their management.
- Community Involvement - Participation of local and wider community.
- Management/Achievements - Project achievements through a green space management plan.
When do applications open and close?
Awards are given on an annual basis and winners must apply each year to renew their Green Flag status.
The application process opens on 1 December, and 31 January is the deadline for submitting your online application
Judging takes place during the spring and all Green Flag Award winners are announced in July.