A key aim of Eco-Schools is to involve your whole school and the wider community. It is important that everyone in the school has the opportunity to be involved in your Eco-Schools projects.
Community | Award Criteria
- Your Eco-Schools activities are displayed on your Eco-Schools noticeboard.
- Your Eco-Schools activities are shared with the wider community. For example; displays, social media, website, newsletter, local press.
- The wider community is involved in the activities going on in the school where possible. For example; partnerships with other schools, local businesses, charities or other community organisations.
Video - Community
Watch this video to find out how to engage your school and wider community in the Eco-Schools Scotland Programme.
How can we involve the community?
Although the Eco-Committee is the group responsible for leading Eco-Schools activities, the whole school must be informed about activities and have the opportunity to be involved.
Eco-Schools begins in the classroom and spreads to the wider community, giving pupils a chance to make real change. Throughout your Green Flag journey, you will have the opportunity to involve members of the community and to work in partnership with local businesses, community council, neighbouring schools and other organisations on larger projects, making your school a focal point in the community.
Involving the Community could involve:
- Presentations at assembly.
- Your Eco-Schools noticeboard.
- Joint projects with a nearby school, nursery or organisation.
- Providing information to your Parent Council.
- A display in a community spot e.g. a library or church.
- A suggestion box for pupils to share their ideas.
- Letters to parents and carers.
- Posts on social media.
- Articles in the school's newsletter or website.
- Posters displayed in your community.
- Letters to local business, government or neighbouring schools.
- A whole school day of action.
- Articles in local newspapers.
- Visitors to the school to provide advice or help.
- Sharing the results of Measuring your projects.
- Celebration to raise your Green Flag.